Phone: 804.783.6814Email: email@example.com
- Labor & Employment Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., cum laude, 1984
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 1987
- University of Richmond Law Review
- National Moot Court Team
- Moot Court Board
- Law Clerk, Supreme Court of Virginia, 1987-1988
- Virginia, 1987
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- American Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Section
- Virginia Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Section
- Richmond Bar Association
- President, 2010-2011
- Board of Directors, 2003-2012
- John Marshall American Inn of Court
- Society for Human Resources Management
- Richmond Society for Human Resources Management
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Committee on Management Relations, 2005 to present
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys 1992-2008
- Hanover Education Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2012 to present
- American Heart Association, Mid-Atlantic Affiliate (Md., D.C., Va., N.C., S.C.)
- General Counsel (Volunteer) 1997-2011
- Member, Board of Directors, 1999-2011
- West Richmond Rotary Club, 1999 to present
- President, 2009-2010
- Member, Board of Directors 2004-2011
- Junior Achievement Volunteer Instructor
Thamer E. “Chip” Temple III
Chip Temple represents employers and management in all areas of employment law.
He has tried a wide variety of cases to verdict, and has briefed and argued successfully several cases of first impression before the United States Court of Appeals, the United States District Court and the National Labor Relations Board. Mr. Temple also regularly practices before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, and various state agencies and self-regulatory organizations.
In addition to trial and administrative representation, Mr. Temple provides ongoing counseling to employers on the full spectrum of workplace practices and policies.
He has authored many articles and essays on workplace law, and provided commentary for television, radio and print media. He also frequently lectures on these topics at legal and management seminars, judicial conferences, and at local universities.
Mr. Temple has been recognized for several years by Virginia Business Magazine as one of Virginia’s “Legal Elite,” and as a Super Lawyer in Virginia Super Lawyers and Richmond magazines. He has been recognized by the publishers of Law & Politics as one of the top fifty lawyers in Virginia. He also is listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
Mr. Temple served as the 126th President of the Bar Association of the City of Richmond.
- Equal Opportunity Charges and Trials
- Non-Competition Contracts and Restrictive Covenants
- Arbitrations before the FINRA, AAA, FMCS and SRO’s
- Unfair Labor Practice Investigations and Trials
- Union Organizing Campaigns
- Department of Labor Charges and Audits
- Preparation of Personnel Policies
- Discipline and Discharge Counseling
- Substance Abuse Screening
- Whistleblower Complaints
- OSHA and VOSH Investigations
ARTICLES, SEMINARS & NEWS
- Labor & Employment Law Blog
- Documenting Employee Discipline
- Smart Employee Terminations
- Defamation in Employee Evaluations
- At-Will Employee Under Federal Labor Laws
- Social Media in the Workplace
- Stress and Mental Disorders: Employer Responsibilities Under the ADA
- Ethical Considerations: Joint Representation of Companies and Managers
- Confidentiality: The Attorney as an Investigator in Workplace Disputes
- Sexual Harassment: Employer and Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Avoiding and Defending Discrimination Suits
- Workplace Privacy in the Electronic Age
- Recruitment and Interviewing: Getting the Right Person the Right Way
- Mastering the FMLA Regulations
- Workers Compensation, ADA and FMLA: Potential Pitfalls for Employers
- Rights and Wrongs in Union Organizing
- Substantial Limitation: An Unsung Defense in Disability Discrimination Cases
- Retroactivity of the 1991 Civil Rights Act
- Pratt v. NPMHU, 2002 U.S. App. LEXIS 473, 171 L.R.R.M. 2064 (4th Cir. 2001), cert. denied, 537 U.S. 826 (2002).
- Herman v. Local 305, NPMHU, 44 F. Supp. 2d 771 (E.D. Va. 1999), rev’d, 214 F.3d 475 (4th Cir. 2000).
- Fobian v. Storage Technology Corp., 959 F. Supp. 742 (E.D. Va. 1997), remanded, 164 F.3d 887 (4th Cir. 1999), aff’d, 217 F.3d 838 (4th Cir. 2000).
- Green v. Storage Technology Corp., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20564 (E.D. Va. 1997).
- Shore v. A.W. Hargrove Ins. Agency, Inc., 873 F. Supp. 992 (E.D. Va. 1995).
- Lawler v. Schumacher Filters Am., Inc., 832 F. Supp. 1044 (E.D. Va. 1993).
- Khandelwal v. CompuAdd Corp., 780 F. Supp. 1077 (E.D. Va. 1992).
- Hill v. Quantum Resources Corp., 940 F.2d 652, 1991 U.S. App. LEXIS 23457 (4th Cir. 1991).
- Local 305 v. NLRB, 925 F.2d 1457 (4th Cir. 1991), rev’g, sub. nom, National Post Office Mail Handlers and As Salaam, 298 N.L.R.B. 473 (1989).